Aromatherapy is the practice of using volatile plant oils, including essential oils for psychological and physical well-being. Essential oils, the pure essence of a plant, have been found to provide both psychological and physical benefits when used correctly and safely. The inhaled aroma from these “essential” oils is widely believed to stimulate brain function. Essential oils can also be absorbed through the skin, where they travel through the bloodstream and can promote whole-body healing. Aromatherapy as used today originated in Europe and has been practiced there since the early 1900s.
There are a wide number of essential oils available, each with its own healing properties.The term “essential oil” is a contraction of the original “quintessential oil.” This stems from the Aristotelian idea that matter is composed of four elements, namely, fire, air, earth, and water. The fifth element, or quintessence, was then considered to be spirit or life force.
Essential oils do far more than smell great. They are used to help increase oxygen in the body upwards of 20%. Muscles respond to massage therapy faster when essential oils are incorporated as part of your therapy, supporting your body to respond more effectively to each massage and hold the positive effects of the massage longer. Essential oils also reduce stress causing Cortisol levels, help detoxify the body faster, help cells assimilate nutrients better and raise the body’s energetic frequency.
At Rae of Light Massage we listen to you and explore your needs to find the right therapies for your body’s needs today and every day you choose us to give you that perfect massage each and every time. Call us today and set up an appointment to feel the magic of our massages.
Therapeutic massage may not be appropriate for some individuals. It’s always important to consult with your doctor before you receive a massage, especially for those individuals with infectious diseases, certain forms of cancer, skin problems, phlebitis (inflammation of the veins) and cardiac conditions.
Here are just a few of our favorite essential oils:
- Clary Sage Essential Oil (Salvia sclarea): antispasmodic, relieves menstrual cramps, aphrodisiac, relaxing, relieves anxiety/stress, labor pain management
- Eucalyptus Radiata Essential Oil: expectorant, this eucalyptus species is indicated for children with respiratory congestion, useful for colds and flu, antiviral
- Fennel Essential Oil (Foeniculum vulgare var. dulce): digestive, menstrual irregularities, antimicrobial
- Frankincense Essential Oil (Boswellia frereana): strengthens the immune system (CO2 extract), soothes inflamed skin conditions, cell regenerative, food grade
- Geranium Essential Oil (Pelargonium x asperum syn. graveolens): PMS, indicated for hormonal imbalance, antimicrobial, nerve pain
- Ginger Essential Oil (Zingiber officinale): digestive, useful to eliminate gas, constipation, relieves nausea, warming emotionally and physically, anti-inflammatory, relieves pain, immune modulator, food grade
- Helichrysum Essential Oil (Helichrysum italicum): cell regenerative, wound healing, anti-inflammatory, indicated for bruises and swelling
- Lavender Essential Oil (Lavandula angustifolia): calming, reduces anxiety, wound healing, burns, cell regenerative, insect bites. reduces itchiness, general skin care, great for children, antispasmodic
- Lemon Essential Oil (Citrus limon): antiviral, great for cleaning home, cleansing to environments (room spray), uplifting, detoxing, food grade
- Lemongrass Essential Oil (Cymbopogon citratus): cleansing, antiviral, insect repellant, use for cleaning, antimicrobial, food grade
- Patchouli Essential OilPatchouli (Pogostemom cablin): antidepressant, anti-inflammatory, soothes the nervous system
- Peppermint Essential Oil (Mentha x piperita): relieves nausea, analgesic for muscular aches and pains, relieves/reduces migraines, energizing, antispasmodic, food grade
Praise for Essential Oils & Sharon
High Blood Pressure
After being diagnosed with high blood pressure a few months ago, my GP prescribed a very low dose of medication.
When discussing my concern with taking this prescribed medication, Sharon suggested to me, that I may like to trial using a combination of YL essential oils, as a roll-on application every time I experienced my BP increasing. The frequent application initially was to support the process of re-balancing and stabilising my BP. Initially this was required several times per day.
My daily nutritional support also consisted of Omegagize and Ningxia Red.
My BP has returned to normal! My GP was amazed at how I was able to obtain this with-out prescribed medication to control.
I am SO excited and grateful!!
DT, Adelaide SA